17/02/2012

In my kitchen: Ortiz Bonito Ventresca 

To start this list of unmissable, most delicious products that always feature in my kitchen, I am not too keen about the basics (olive oil and so on, which will be treated at some point anyway), but rather at the one product I've been recently fancying at almost any time of the day.
I tried the Ortiz products before, however only recently I was introduced to the Bonito del Norte Ventresca by Niccolo of Food in the City , at a time that would see perhaps a pancake or a croissant as more appropriate. And yet, what I was eating at 11am on a Sunday morning was the most buttery, velvety (or silky, depends what sensual applied to food is to one) tuna I had ever tried, besides perhaps the raw version of it I had in selected sushi bars.
The Ortiz Ventresca comes with a price, but for more than a reason: it is the most prized cut of tuna, the belly (ventresca is how they call it in Spain), so rich in fat content so as to give flavour and that finest creamy texture. It is fished with the so called "dolphin friendly methods", ie it is line caught off the northwestern coast of Spain. Then finally filleted and packed by hand.
The best way to enjoy it? The less you do to it the better.  For me, it makes a luscious aperitivo for two, to accompany with some crisp bread or crackers. Sipping a fresh red wine (try the Domaine du Moulin, Isabelle & Hervé Villemade, Cheverny). To fall in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment