10/10/2012

An effortlessly luxurious getaway

I have a discussion going on with my friend Daniel on what luxury should be today, particularly in the area of hospitality. Living in London one immediately looks at 5 star properties, to eventually find out that amongst all the opulence of the marbles, fabrics and chandeliers, it's on the details that most properties are losing the message.
When I think luxury I think of effortless, meaning a pair of Hunter boots available for clients going on a walk or a freshly picked salad and home made bread. In their simplicity, these things can cost money to be found, but more importantly they require some good thinking to be developed and kept in place.
And so last week I went for a quick weekday (a luxury by definition) getaway to the New Forest. Such a lovely place, just an little over an hour away from London. I had read several reviews about The Pig Hotel and its restaurant and I was really keen to try it. Basically a chic country house with 26 rooms, where I stayed in what is considered the smallest size, absolutely adorable and featuring a great view on the garden outside.

Speaking of gardens, we are talking serious stuff over there. Not only does the Hotel feature a massive garden where to walk, play tennis or enjoy a drink in the summer, but the chef also has a walled garden where all sort of greens are grown and are - as the menu states - "literally picked in the morning" to create for example a delicious Tempura Vegetables with Lemon Verbena and Baby Caper Mayonnaise. 
The whole menu is developed around the idea of "max 25 miles away", thus featuring products such as Hampshire partridge, Dorset snails, New Forest mushrooms and cured meats, and more seafood and meat from local suppliers. The dining room is cozy, resembling a chic nursery.



I booked my stay and dinner through their website directly, but a good gallery of images to get the full picture is also available on http://www.mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/the-pig/photos
As always, when I find a place I love I am torn between sharing the news or keep it for the few good friends who I am sure would enjoy the experience. In this case I am confident the place would not appeal to the masses, nor to those looking for bling. So we can keep it as a secret address.

1 comment: