05/12/2011

The safety of beautiful objects (and words)
Over the past few weeks I've been thinking more and more about the role of blogs and what is the use that (normal) people make of them. I have to say, I'm getting annoied by all the frustrated, angry voices of unaccomplished journalists, artists, foodies...and many other disciplines one might just not be suitable for.
When I decided to launch my blog  I never thought I would scream or express any negative sentiment. Why would I need an electronic device to tell people if I am upset? What drove me to start posting was rather my passion for something, and the desire to share thoughts and stories about beautiful things.
Working and living in a foodie environment is one exceptional experience, a challenging one though. As in many jobs, one gets so taken by that world to eventually forget that there is something else in life. And yet, when all you talk and do is about food, I don't feel that guilty..
So it is with the greatest excitement that last Friday I received not a Lanvin dress nor a pair of Margiela shoes (which however I'd love to wear on my long days at Massimo ). It was instead a designer's pasta pan, designed not by coincidence by two Piemontese brothers. Angiolina is a good example of how design can spring out of stories, of tales. And its story begins during a war, the Second World War. “Granny Angiolina used to cook pasta in sauce cans instead of throwing them away”. The Adriano brothers were so touched by the story that they designed this pasta pan as a tribute to their grandmother...
Whoever's been reading my blog for some time should know how strongly I believe in traditions that are able to achieve a new contemporary appeal. If out of them emerge beautiful objects, that's all I need to get by. And some amazing food.




No comments:

Post a Comment